1.13.2010

Why So Artsy Terre Haute?

Terre Haute is alive with art. As I look around the city, especially downtown, I realize that Terre Haute embraces, appreciates, and rewards the arts. I have lived in Terre Haute for half my life, or about 20 years. I've lived in many parts of the city, and sometimes outside the city, but I've never lived downtown. I want to live downtown, sort of. I enjoy seeing people walking into the art museums, and visiting the art galleries that makeup downtown Terre Haute.

Local universities and colleges have recently shown interest in art appreciation. Indiana State University has several art galleries, which are generally full of student and faculty works. Ivy Tech has created a great environment for art shows, and most wall space has some type of creative work neatly hanging on it. Both Indiana State and Ivy Tech continue to provide outlets for local artists to display their work.

When all the pieces are put together, Terre Haute shines as an art friendly city. Why? Really, what is it that makes Terre Haute (that's 2 words, not 1) this little art jewel? Is there nothing else to do in town except go to an art show? I guess you could always find a restaurant, go out to eat, visit a local pub or go to Walmart, all of which are plentiful in Terre Haute. I'd rather visit an art show, and I think many others feel the same way. Something very strange and abstract is happening around here and I want to know more.

No comments:

Post a Comment