1.26.2010

Rocky Edge Is On My Mind

In an earlier post, I may have eluded to something very strange going on around Terre Haute. I still don't know what it is, but I'm working on it. In my most recent posting "Rocky Edge", I feel that I over-emphasized architectural and aesthetic qualities of the location. I still feel that both the architecture and the beauty of the property are integral in understanding my viewpoint. I want to focus a little about the purpose of the property. I have a lot of researching to do, and I believe I will finally understand why Rocky Edge is just so damn cool. The artists and artisans who planned, created and crafted the property did so under the instructions of the owner. Perhaps the owner hired a group of local artists to come and "create" a place where people could enjoy themselves. This is the reason I am interested in Rocky Edge.

Rocky Edge has come up in general conversations with friends. Most stories about the place revolve around the party house concept. It had its own ballroom, bar, pool and even an elevator. The entire property was set-up for a party, a wild party. Terre Haute is known as sin city, and I think Rocky Edge is a reflection of sin., but not actual sin To what extent, I hope to find out.

In the next few weeks, I plan to speak with the current owner about the status of the property, and more about the history. I will find individuals, who for whatever reason good or bad, have an interest in the estate. Ideally, I will find solid historical and artistic facts about the estate. I may learn that more people want the building torn down than those who would like to keep it "alive". I will try to persuade everyone to first consider the property an artistic expression, and then those with the power can decide what to do with Rocky Edge. Without the artistic qualities, this property would be certain for doom. I don't think it will remain standing just because of its rich and rambunctious past, but it's certainly an interesting past.

No comments:

Post a Comment